Friday, August 4, 2023

The Character of a Praying Person

 "Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you. Cleanse your hands, ye sinners, and purify your hearts, ye double-minded." James 4:8

Read: James 4-5

The true person of prayer spends time with God, not just for a few minutes in the morning or before a meal, but throughout the entire day. Such a person starts his morning greeting God and carries that conversation through every moment of the day, then closes the day with a heart of thankfulness and a departing sweet "Goodnight" to God.

Such a person seeks refuge in God when things get tough.

"But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head." Psalm 3:3

He believes God will take care of him.

"I lade me down and slept; I awaked; for the LORD sustained me." Psalm 3:5

A praying person honestly assesses himself before God.

"Stand in awe, and sin not: commune with your own heart upon your bed, and be still. Selah." Psalm 4:5

"Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates?" II Corinthians 13:5

 He realizes that he may not always get what he asks for, but he will receive what is best for him, and this will lead him to praise God. 

“For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end.” Jeremiah 29:11

Such a person develops a deep and sincere attitude of gratitude that reaches to the very depths of his being.

“Being enriched in every thing to all bountifulness, which causeth through us thanksgiving to God.” II Corinthians 9:11

Praise and thanksgiving lead to a heart of joy and peace, even in the toughest of situations.

“These things have I spoken unto you, that my joy might remain in you, and that your joy might be full.” John 15:11

“Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled neither let it be afraid.” John 14:27

“And at midnight Paul and Silas prayed, and sang praises unto God: and the prisoners heard them.” Acts 16:25

Because of his continual fellowship with God, his countenance and his impact on those around him will bring God glory, even when undergoing tribulation.

“And all that sat in the council, looking steadfastly on him [Stephen], saw his face as it had been the face of an angel.” Acts 6:15

How has your prayer life been lately? Is it showing, not necessarily by the answers, but by who you are for having spent time with God?

For further study, read: I Samuel 30; Psalm 56.

To God be all glory and honor and praise! Amen and Amen. 

"But as for me, my prayer is unto thee, O LORD, in an acceptable time: O God, in the multitude of thy mercy hear me, in the truth of thy salvation." Psalm 69:13.

Love Is Kind

 'Charity suffereth long, and is kind,..." I Corinthians 13:4 I know people who walk into a sick person's house and take charge...