Tuesday, May 21, 2024

God Gives Hope

 “…I will do unto them after their way, and according to their deserts will I judge them; and they shall know that I am the LORD.” Ezekiel 7:27


Ezekiel was called by God to be a prophet in 593 BC, during the first exile of the Jews from Judah. First, God needed to make clear to Ezekiel the abominations committed by the Jews, in particular their leaders. In a vision, God takes Ezekiel to see what was happening in Jerusalem. The vision revealed to Ezekiel the inner parts of the city and of the temple, which actually revealed the hearts of the people. 

“And he brought me to the door of the court;…And he said unto me, Go in, and behold the wicked abominations that they do here.” Ezekiel 8:7-9

Ezekiel was a priest, of the line of Zadok. That meant he came from a lineage of priests who’d remained faithful to God and God’s laws. Ezekiel would be familiar with the temple, its set up, its rooms, and the people. What God was revealing, Ezekiel would have had some understanding of, but now he was seeing things from God’s perspective. The wickedness was great, and no doubt, it broke Ezekiel’s heart.

But God also gave Ezekiel hope. He revealed to the prophet that God would protect those who understood God’s righteousness, understood God’s perfection and love, and cried over the abominations that they saw. Probably, Ezekiel was of the same mindset. He’d seen God’s glory, was shown God’s holiness, and knew God’s judgment. 

The more time Ezekiel spent with God, the more he heard the words:

“…and ye shall know that I am the LORD.” Ezekiel 7:4 (and many other places).

The wickedness was great, but God’s love was even greater.

“…for I know the things that come into your mind, every one of them. Ye have multiplied your slain in this city, and ye have filled the streets thereof with the slain…but I will bring you out of the midst thereof, and deliver you into the hands of strangers, and will execute judgments among you….and ye shall know that I am the LORD.” Ezekiel 11:5-10 (bolded words are my emphasis).

“…Although I have cast them far off among the heathen, and although I have scattered them among the countries, yet will I be to them as a little sanctuary in the countries where they shall come….And I will give them one heart, and I will put a new spirit within you; and I will take the stony heart out of their flesh, and will give them an heart of flesh: That they may walk in my statutes, and keep mine ordinances, and do them: and they shall be my people, and I will be their God.” Ezekiel 11:16-20

This is our amazing God. 

Sometimes we are clueless on how we’ve offended God. In fact, there may be times when we even think we are right in doing the very things that are abominable to God. God isn’t content to leave us without helping us understand our need to repent. We sometimes don’t get that what we are experiencing is a consequence of our actions, or thoughts, or words. For some people, they will never acknowledge they need to change or even that God has a right to demand a change. But for those who finally get it, who finally accept responsibility for their actions or thoughts or words which have led them to the terrible place they are at, there is hope.

This was the message God was giving Ezekiel to give to the children of Israel. “Yes, you’ve done wickedly, but I am prepared to forgive you and help change you from the inside out, if you are willing to let me do it.”

Have you suffered the consequences of wrong thinking and wrong acting in your life? Are you prepared to say to God, “I have sinned and deserve what I receive”? 

Perhaps that isn’t your situation. Perhaps, you are like Ezekiel, and have been shown what others are doing. Are you prepared to lovingly confront and show others a better way?

For further study read: Ezekiel 7-13.

“Then I spake unto them of the captivity all the things that the LORD had shewed me.” Ezekiel 11:25

“For I am the LORD: I will speak, and the word that I shall speak shall come to pass; it shall be no more prolonged…” Ezekiel 12:25

“…for I will deliver my people out of your hand: and ye shall know that I am the LORD.” Ezekiel 13:23 (note: this is God speaking to the false prophets).

The Sting of Criticism

  When we moved to Texas, I took a break from writing and focused on home and family. I wouldn't have been capable of balancing a 'c...