Tuesday, May 21, 2024

I Love God's Word

 "Oh how love I thy law! It is my meditation all the day." Psalm 119:97

What can I say? I love God's Word. I feed off of God's Word. I can't imagine what life would be like without it. I'm quirky that way. 

But I don't think I'm at this psalmist's point of dedication, because if I'm really honest, I do not meditate on it all day. Too many other things enter into my mind. However, I aspire to have His Word present in my thoughts at all times.

I long to have a perfect appetite for study, and musing, and praying, and reflecting on God. Yet, some mornings, I can't help myself and check my email, or look at website, or do a number of other things before I release a heavy sigh and turn to by Bible reading. I'd like to find excuses for it. I'd like to be better disciplined about it. I know what I must do. And yet, I fail.

God's commandments make me wiser than my enemies...even if those enemies don't agree. And if I'd just keep my thoughts on God, I'd realize that He is always with me, ready to give me the answers I need to deflect the enemies.

I gain more understanding than my teachers when I examine all things (science and human behaviors included) when I come at it from the perspective of Scripture. Even those older and supposedly wiser than me cannot deflect what God teaches me through His Word. 

If only I'd realize that by keeping God's Word, I'd always know right from wrong, chaos would not reign over me.

I love God's Word, and that will be the key to dwelling on it all day long. But fatigue keeps me from memorizing Scripture like I should. If His Word was right at the forefront of my thoughts, I'd have great discernment, and have the ability to do good, avoiding evil ways. 

Norris Baptist Bible Seminary is near us and I'm told they teach the Bible from Genesis to Revelation. A class on the Pentateuch, with the first semester focusing on Genesis and the second semester on Exodus to Deuteronomy is a requirement of all pastoral students. If you'd asked me thirty years ago if that would be intriguing, well I would have pulled in a deep breath, set my chin in a firm 'I'm up to the challenge' position, and replied, "I'd do it." Today, I'd be there, if I had the energy to drive back and forth from the classes. I love the depth of those first five books of the Bible. That love came only after having Sunday School teachers who revealed that Genesis has everything we need to know in it. Who would have thought? The more I study it, the more I see the truth of that.

The Torah (first five books of the Bible) gives direction, instruction, and an understanding of both the law (ten commandments) and the ceremonial acts that were pictures of all that was to come, including Christ's first and second coming. 

God's commandments are a code of wisdom. His testimonies are a witness to us of Who God is. His precepts are mandates God has given us on how to live in a manner pleasing to God.

When the psalmist wrote Psalm 119, quite likely he only had the Pentateuch (the first five books of the Bible). If he gained such great wisdom and understanding from these books, how much more can we have when we study the whole and complete Word of God!

The continual reflection of God's law deepens our wisdom, our understanding of the nature of man and the nature of God. We should thirst after it, hunger for it.

The chaos of this world, the confusion we see in our society today, could all be made clear if we would make God's Word our meditation, our focus, and our manner of living. If we would set our hearts on it, not depart from it, but taste it, hunger for it, find it to be sweet--living our life would be much clearer and more directed and ordered and peaceful.

How about you? Do you see what I see: the need to know God's Word more in your life? What do you do to keep His Words with you throughout the day?

For further study, read Psalm 119.

"They that fear thee will be glad when they see me; because I have hoped in thy word." Psalm 119:74

"Unless the law had been my delights, I should then have perished in mine affliction." Psalm 119:92

The Sting of Criticism

  When we moved to Texas, I took a break from writing and focused on home and family. I wouldn't have been capable of balancing a 'c...