Friday, September 24, 2021

Enlarge My Steps

 Thou hast enlarged my steps under me that my feet did not slip. Psalm 18:35 

David wrote this psalm after God delivered him from his enemies and from King Saul, who wanted to kill him. He knew his salvation came from God, and he placed his trust in the LORD God Almighty. 

Photo by Fabrizio Conti on Unsplash

David's life exemplified faith. In order for him to know that God kept his feet from falling, he had to take steps. I picture him skirting around rocky terrain, moving in and out of caves, and facing the enemy in hand-to-hand combat. Each of these positions require sure-footedness. A fall could be deadly. David recognized that his stability came from God. 

In writing, I can easily put my foot down in a mess and sink further with each word I write. Entering into a debate where maybe I lack knowledge can lead to a messy, embarrassing situation. Stating my opinion to an audience unwilling to listen can put my ability to sell on shaky ground. Letting my imagination take me down roads clouded by popular opinions, trends, etc. can cause me to stumble and jeopardize my testimony. 

I need the LORD to enlarge my steps under me so that my feet will not slip. 

LORD, please help me to stand firmly upon the foundation of my faith, that is Your salvation, mercy and grace, that I will not stumble. Keep me from making a fool of myself or bringing scorn upon Your Name. Hold me fast, so that Your Name will be glorified, lifted up above all names and all 'gods' of this world.

And the Chase Is On

  Years ago, I set my iPad on the treadmill, started up a movie   and pressed 2 for a warmup. I had just begun to punch the button to speed ...