Tuesday, September 28, 2021

Whether I Live or Die, I Am Blessed

"For all things are for your sakes, that the abundant grace might through the thanksgiving of many redound to the glory of God." II Corinthians 4:15 

I sat on the examination table determined to let my breast surgeon know she did a good job, and I'm doing well. She sat in the chair beside the table, eyes on the pathology report, trying to have a positive outlook. Not that the pathology report was a negative foretelling of the future. Just unexpected and unusual.

Photo by National Cancer Institute on Unsplash

"You know," I said, "I think you did a great job of my surgery. I feel great and am doing more than what everyone was telling me I would be able to do after surgery. I was even able to help load three calves into the trailer, Saturday." I fumbled. I wasn't doing a good job of what I really wanted to say, simply: thank you. And even more so, to share Christ with her, but the door wasn't open. 

This surgeon had up to this point always presented a very "in-control" professional walk and demeanor and confidence that showed her years of experience in her field. But she faltered, unable to clearly tell me what to expect. 

When I left the exam room after getting dressed, I heard her and presumed she was talking with my oncologist as she read the pathology report to the person on the other end of the phone. I had a strange peace. Well, it really isn't strange because that peace, God's peace on me, has been present throughout my Christian life (whenever I chose to look for it). But I confess, I wasn't exactly tripping down the hall with glee.

In II Corinthians, the apostle Paul spoke extensively about suffering, and in particular, the suffering he experienced. Set aside the 'thorn in my flesh' portion, and he lists the suffering he had endured because he preached the Gospel. His response to the horrors he'd endured as an ambassador of Christ was to focus on the needs of the people he had served and had come to love. 

"And whether we be afflicted, it is for your consolation and salvation, which is effectual in the enduring of the same sufferings which we also suffer: or whether we be comforted, it is for your consolation and salvation." II Corinthians 1:6

My mother suffered from extreme nausea and pain for several months before she died this spring. Yet, she smiled at her doctor and witnessed to her nurses (for as long as she had voice to do so), and her faith and the peace of God shone through her. It impacted those around her. She was ready to go to see her Beloved Lord and Savior, but while on earth, she did what she could for others. 

"We are troubled on every side, yet not distressed; we are perplexed, but not in despair; Persecuted, but not forsaken; cast down, but not destroyed; Always bearing about the body the dying of the Lord Jesus, that the life also of Jesus might be made manifest in our body." II Corinthians 4:8-10

We, in America, rarely if ever suffer the persecution Paul endured and did so with the joy of the Lord in his heart. I think it is coming. It will separate those who truly love the Lord and love others as He loved, from those who simply chose Christianity as an identity or merely said the sinner's prayer for 'fire insurance' to escape hell. I think each of us must now chose whether we will follow Christ to death or follow the easy path. 

Such discussion of persecution and suffering tends to turn off people. We like to not think about such things. And in truth, dwelling on the horrors that may face us is not a good use of our minds. Our focus shouldn't be on the troubles we'll face. Our focus should be on the hope we have in Christ: on the future where we'll dwell with the Lord in a perfect place. Our hope lies in the day we will be all that we were created to be: to bring God pleasure, to enjoy Him, and to fellowship with Him and live in a place of continual worship. 

Paul not only endured physical abuse from those who hated him and the message he gave, he endured words spoken against him by those that should have loved him. He endured the rejection of those he had poured his life out for them to know Christ. Yet, he had peace. His love for the church at Corinth caused him to see past the hurt to how all he had endured could be a blessing to them, an encouragement and a source of comfort.

Once, a doctor told me if you don't do such and such you may die. Actually, I've heard that several times over my life from medical professionals. They can't predict my death. My response to that particular doctor, was, "I'm not afraid to die. For me, to die is gain as I will be in Heaven with my Lord and Savior." Her response was what of those you leave behind who love you? Good point. That was Paul's reasoning for God keeping him alive, to continue to serve those he loved. His love for the churches he'd started, for the members of those churches, kept him from giving up.

"For I am in a strait betwixt two, having a desire to depart, and to be with Christ; which is far better: Nevertheless to abide in the flesh is more needful for you. And having this confidence, I know that I shall abide and continue with you all for your furtherance and joy of faith; That your rejoicing may be more abundant in Jesus Christ for me by my coming to you again." Philippians 1:23-26

While my mother was still here on earth, she blessed and shared and comforted. When she departed, God already had her family in His hand. This is a truth we'd all be wise to remember.

Suffering sometimes leads to death. But that death does not mean the end of life for those who believe. Neither does it mean those left behind are alone. God does not forget the grieving, even if at times it seems like that is so. Before He takes a loved one home to be with Him in Heaven, He prepares for the continual earthly existence of those left behind. For a time of grieving this may be difficult to remember, but nevertheless true. God will be there for you. God will supply your needs. God will take you through each moment and each day, as readily as the sun rises in the morning. You're not alone.

My run with cancer will likely not end in my death. But I do know that it is in the background of everyone's mind. The statistics demonstrate survivability, but the doctor says, "In a room of 100 people with cancer, you don't want to increase the chances of you being that one person to die by not getting appropriate treatment." To that I say, "God determines the day of my calling Home." Even so, my hope is not in this world, but in the world to come that my Lord is preparing where I will forever be with Him. Whether I die to day or thirty years from now, I am blessed.

This is the craziest of all the days of my lifetime. The world seems like it is turning upside down and inside out. People are living out their fear of the unknown in anger toward anyone who might disagree with them. People are demonstrating their hopelessness by looking to anyone who might provide hope, yet failing to look for the One Who can give them perfect hope. They have given up on the good and made evil right and right evil.

How must I live, whether my life is cut short or I live for many more years? I am to live for Christ.

"Only let your conversation be as it becometh the gospel of Christ: …For unto you it is given in the behalf of Christ, not only to believe on him, but also to suffer for his sake; having the same conflict which ye saw in me, and now hear to be in me." Philippians 1:27,29-30

 

And the Chase Is On

  Years ago, I set my iPad on the treadmill, started up a movie   and pressed 2 for a warmup. I had just begun to punch the button to speed ...