Thursday, March 9, 2023

II Samuel: Who Are the Amalekites of My Life?

 "And he said unto me, Who art though? And I answered him, I am an Amalekite." II Samuel 1:8

Do you ever read the Bible, and something sticks out at you—something you'd not otherwise thought about? 

This happens to me, usually when I've been studying a particular subject, or picked up on something I didn't know before, or something someone else pointed out that now I notice.

The Amalekites. That's the most recent subject.

Time and again, they keep popping up in the most unusual places. And here we go again.

They've been around a long time, even during Abraham's time (Genesis 14:7). Their kings bore the name, Agag (Numbers 24:7, I Samuel 15:8). And Haman (from the story of Esther, Esther 3:1) was the son of an Agagite, which scholars assume refers to the Amalekites.

The Bible refers to Amalek as the first of nations (Numbers 24:20). Balaam prophesied that Israel's king (King of Kings, the Lord Jesus Christ) would be higher than Agag, the Amalekite king (Numbers 24:7). 

Ten of the twelve spies that scouted the Promised Land noted the Amalekites dwelt in the land of the south and believed them to be stronger than the Israelites (Numbers 13:29-33). 

The Amalekites fought against the Israelites when they were enroute to the Promised Land (Numbers 14:39-45).

Wickedness abounded with the Amalekites, thus God determined to destroy them along with the other Canaanites. However, the Israelites lack of faith and lack of desire— resulted in their inability to defeat them. 

   "And ye shall make no league with the inhabitants of this land: and ye shall throw down their altars: but ye have not obeyed my voice: why have ye done this? Wherefore I also said, I will not drive them out from before you; but they shall be as thorns in your sides, and their gods shall be a snare unto you." Judges 2:2-3

King Saul failed to kill the king of Agag (I Samuel 15), and later history, Haman (a descendant of Agag) sought to kill all the Jews. 

Now, in II Samuel, this young man lies to David about how Saul died.

Why?

At the end of I Samuel, we learn that Saul committed suicide.

Now, we see an Amalekite, enemy of the Israelites, taking credit for Saul's death. Perhaps, he assumed David would reward him—'the enemy of my enemy is my friend' type thinking.

David would have none of it. He and his men mourned Saul and Jonathan and the people of the Lord and the house of Israel. His answer to the young man?

  "How was thou not afraid to stretch forth thine hand to destroy the LORD's anointed? And David called one of the young men, and said, Go near, and fall upon him. And he smote him that he died. And David said unto him, Thy blood be upon thy head; for thy mouth hath testified against thee, saying, I have slain the LORD's anointed." II Samuel 1:13-16 

Wow. The consequences of pride and lying lead to death.

The Israelites lacked faith. They lacked understanding of what would cause them to stumble. They lacked the trust needed to conquer what would later be a continual thorn in their flesh, even to the point of almost wiping them out but for the courage of Esther. Consequences of disobedience brought on by lack of faith and understanding of God's protection and provision.

Yes. I have encountered Amalekites in my life. I live with the consequences. But I do not suffer eternal condemnation because my King of Kings is greater than my Amalekites' king. My Saviour is greater than my moments of weakness, my lack of understanding, my times of faithlessness, my failure to obey. My Saviour knew I would not be capable of living a sinless life or a perfect faithful life of obedience. So, He took all that upon Himself at the cross. I will one day cross the river of life into the Heavenly Kingdom and all of my Amalekites will be fully removed from my sight.

To God be all glory and honor and praise.

"And out of his mouth goeth a sharp sword, that with it he should smite the nations: and he shall rule them with a rod of iron: and he treadeth the winepress of the fierceness and wrath of Almighty God. And he hath on his vesture and on his thigh a name written, KING OF KINGS AND LORD OF LORDS." Revelations 19:15-16

Love Is Kind

 'Charity suffereth long, and is kind,..." I Corinthians 13:4 I know people who walk into a sick person's house and take charge...