Saturday, March 11, 2023

Job: Words Matter

 "Call now, if there be any that will answer thee; and to which of the saints wilt thou turn?" Job 5:1

Have you ever had someone come up to you and tell you that God told him something about you? Has anyone ever turned to you and professed great wisdom that you should obey or wise counsel that you must adhere to? 

AdobeStock_62203512

Have you ever been the one to urge another to listen to your warning, to change the path they are taking, to listen to you declare the wickedness you see in their lives?

I squeeze my eyes shut in shame at these last questions, because quite honestly, been there done that.

Job's friends claimed to have great spiritual insight. For whatever reason, they believed that if they could convince Job of his sin, everything would be all right. 

I mean, really. Has that ever worked? Well, I do think when the prophet Nathan approached David about his sin with Bathsheba, it worked. David did take it to heart and changed. But then, David actually knew he'd sinned. Nathan wasn't telling him anything he didn't already know. 

And what I find interesting here is that Eliphaz seemed to believe there was no one who would help Job. Did he really think that Job was so far gone that any person of faith wouldn't reach out to help him? So....what does that say about Eliphaz?

To be kind, I do think it possible that Eliphaz genuinely wanted to help Job. But for the hidden things of his heart. We are complex people and Eliphaz is no different than us. Rarely do we have singular motives. In fact, often we deceive ourselves into believing we are singularly motivated for good. Only to discover later, that we were not.

Wisdom tells us to hold our tongue. Only the Holy Spirit can do a true work of conviction. That's part of His job description (John 16:7-12). Yes, there are times when our words are used by the Holy Spirit to convict...but there again, the work is that of the Holy Spirit not us.

The prophet Nathan went to David under the leadership of the Holy Spirit. I'm not thinking that Eliphaz went to Job under the leadership of the Holy Spirit. Although, I do believe God used Eliphaz's words to prove Job.

I've been mulling over the following verses: 

Thou shalt not hate thy brother in thine heart: thou shalt in any wise rebuke thy neighbour, and not suffer sin upon him. Thou shalt not avenge, nor bear any grudge against the children of thy people, but thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself: I am the LORD. (Leviticus 19:17-18)

Perhaps in Eliphaz' mind he was doing just this: loving Job by telling him he had sinned. But I'm not thinking his words actually bear this out. I think that Eliphaz bore a grudge against Job and was taking this occasion to try to convict Job of the perceived sin. 

I know I've mentioned this in a previous post, but I think it bears reviewing. Two things we should be conscious of before we confront another person: 

  1. Our Motive
  2. Our Love (or lack thereof)
A true person of faith will not speak in such a situation unless he's confident the words would be of the Holy Spirit. How can you know? Search your own heart before you speak and be sure you are truly speaking out of a great love and sincere desire to help that person, not out of a secret grudge or hidden desire to avenge, or out of petty jealousy and a desire to lord it over another. 

Often, when the words you speak come truly from God, healing and restoration occurs.

But not always. 

While we need to take care our words and actions are in line with God's leading, we cannot be held responsible for how another reacts to us. Words once spoken can never be taken back, but we have no idea how God, in His infinite grace, mercy and judgment, will use even the wrong words we say. For this, I am truly thankful.

God's wonderful and beautiful grace upon grace covers all.

...the LORD said to Eliphaz the Temanite, My wrath is kindled against thee, and against thy two friends: for ye have not spoken of me the thing that is right, as my servant Job hath. Therefore take unto you now seven bullocks and seven rams, and go to my servant Job, and offer up for yourselves a burnt offering; and my servant Job shall pray for you: for him will I accept: lest I deal with you after your folly, in that ye have not spoken of me the thing which is right, like my servant Job. (Job 42:7-8)




Love Is Kind

 'Charity suffereth long, and is kind,..." I Corinthians 13:4 I know people who walk into a sick person's house and take charge...