Tuesday, April 23, 2024

Love Endures All Things

 "...endureth all things." I Corinthians 13:7

In my horseback riding days, endurance in a horse was an asset. When I would go "horse shopping" I tended to avoid Quarter Horses, because their ability to endure long days was less than that of an Arabian or an Appaloosa. The only asset to a Quarter Horse was their level-headedness.

Because I was purchasing with inexperienced riders in mind, I needed to somehow have the combination of physical endurance with patience and forbearance. Arabians tended to be exciteable and overly sensitive. An Appaloosa would tend to become obstinate and refuse to move when it wearied of a job or tired on the trail.

As a result of these flaws (along with cost), I usually ended up purchasing horses that were a combination of breeds.

The best horses would endure the pain a bad rider would bring to their backs, banging of their mouths by the bit in the hands of a novice, and long hours in the ring or on the trail doing the same thing over and over again. Only a handful of horses had the ability to do this. Such horses were treasured.

Good horses provide for us an example of how to bear trials and burdens without complaint. When I watched what these poor animals would put up with through the ignorance of their riders, I found myself admiring God's creation and realizing that I should be the same and more. I, created in God's image, have the ability to love.

Love endures all things for the sake of those it is responsible for and to. Love endures a great fight of afflictions either from its object of affection or from those who oppose it. Love endures pain, suffering, shame for the sake of those it loves--even as Christ endured the cross and the stigma of hate by the world for our sakes.

In Hebrews 12:3 we are encouraged to endure even as Christ did.
"For consider him that endured such contradiction of sinners against himself, lest ye be wearied and faint in your minds."
When we remember what He did for us, we find the strength to endure the little assaults on our weak love.

When the best beginner's horse endured the unintended punishment from its rider, it would do so quietly. It would not kick or buck or rear or retaliate in anyway. Instead, it would plod along until clearly told to do otherwise. As a child of God who is told to love others, I should emulate this creature and carry on without retaliation. Hmm. I need to work on this.

Love Is Kind

 'Charity suffereth long, and is kind,..." I Corinthians 13:4 I know people who walk into a sick person's house and take charge...