Wednesday, August 21, 2024

How We Live Our Faith

 "But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law." Galatians 5:22-23


Read Romans 13-15:21

Darlene says:

I can't put up with all your legalism. You tell me I shouldn't do this and that and the other thing, then tell me that all I have to do to be saved is believe? Hogwash.

Sarah says:

I am saved by faith, not by works. When I saw the wretchedness of my life, how utterly wicked I was, I hated myself. Then I learned that Jesus died for my sins. That because of His great love for me, He paid the price for my wickedness. I am forgiven. God bought me from that horrible task-master of sin, and now I am owned by Him. How could I not desire to do what pleases Him?

Derek says:

In Christ, I have the freedom to live how I want . . . I'm not going to lose my salvation, so hey, I'm going to that party, drink myself to oblivion, maybe even try some drugs. I've got my fire insurance, and I'm going to live life to the fullest.

Three different people with three different perspectives.

I often hear people spew out the word "legalism" at those who sincerely desire a close walk with the Lord. I have heard those who adhere to certain "guidelines to living" spew out "liberal" at those who apply the principles of Scripture differently to their lives. Often when a person condemns another for his walk, that person does not understand the motivations behind the other's actions. Sometimes, pride enters and causes divisions. 

We cannot speak for every person, We can only speak for ourselves, our own faith. Some live by certain precepts and principles that they believe are founded upon Scripture. Not everyone will apply these precepts and principles for life the same way as another. One’s preference for one thing will not be another’s.

I love the Lord because of what He did for me by paying the price for my sin. I moved from being a slave to sin to being His slave. I owe it to Him to live fully yielded to Him and not to sin. I am motivated not by a desire to earn my way to heaven, but a desire to please my Lord and Savior.

Paul gave us an example of how to live. By grace I am saved. Not by law. I can say, as Paul did, "All things are lawful unto me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but I will not be brought under the power of any." I Corinthians 6:12

Those who avoid certain things live a certain way, because they believe to live otherwise might cause them to break fellowship with God (not that they would lose their salvation, but that they would not have the closeness with God that they desire). If I go out of my way to make them feel uncomfortable by how I live around them, then I am guilty of not loving my brother.

"But when ye sin so against the brethren, and wound their weak conscience, ye sin against Christ." I Corinthians 8:12

Paul desired not to hinder the Gospel of Christ. He saw that how he lived affected others' ability to come to salvation. Legalism will hinder a person seeking Christ; on the other hand, liberalism can prevent another from seeing their need for Christ.

How we live out our faith should be governed by two things:

  1. a desire to please, honor, and glorify our Savior "Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God." I Corinthians 10:31
  2. a desire to not bring offense "Give none offence, neither to the Jews, nor to the Gentiles, nor to the church of God: Even as I please all men in all things, not seeking mine own profit, but the profit of many, that they may be saved." I Corinthians 10:32-33
So, while I might feel I have the freedom of Derek (and cannot lose my salvation because of how I live), I might live as Sarah (for God's glory) and pray that the fruits of the Spirit (love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance - Gal 5:22-23) in my life might keep Darlene from denying the faith.

To God be all glory, and honor, and praise, forever and ever, amen.


”Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ: By whom also we have access by faith into this grace wherein we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God.” Romans 5:1-2

The Sting of Criticism

  When we moved to Texas, I took a break from writing and focused on home and family. I wouldn't have been capable of balancing a 'c...