Wednesday, August 21, 2024

Saul

 "And Saul, yet breathing out threatening and slaughter against the disciples of the Lord . . ."

Acts 9:1

Read Acts 9:1-30

Saul sought to destroy the young church at Jerusalem. He hated this new religion that came to existence because of a man who “showed up” the Pharisees. So he obtained letters from the high priest to take to Damascus. He intended to round up those nasty Christ-followers and bring them to Jerusalem for punishment.

But he never completed his mission. The Lord, Jesus Christ, halted him in his tracks. A frightening experience of blinding light from Heaven, a voice only he could hear, and then conviction drove hate far from his heart.

Then this murderer of Christians, this man who watched the good saint Stephen stoned, converted to a deep faith that Jesus was indeed the Messiah, the Son of God. He entered the city of Damascus a blind man. But God had prepared the way for him. God spoke to Ananias in a vision.

Can you imagine the fear Ananias experienced? “Lord, I have heard by many of this man, how much evil he hath done to thy saints at Jerusalem: and here he hath authority from the chief priests to bind all that call on thy name.” (Acts 9:13)

Ananias trusted the Lord and obeyed. Now, because of the conversion of an angry, hate-filled man, and because of another who trusted the words of the Lord, the Gospel was preached to the Gentiles.

Yes, it is possible, God could have raised another, but God chose Saul (later known as Paul). “But the Lord said unto him, Go thy way: for he is a chosen vessel unto me, to bear my name before the Gentiles, and kings, and the children of Israel: For I will shew him how great things he must suffer for my name’s sake.” (Acts 9:15)

I have heard stories, and I have met people whose lives were full of wickedness before they turned their hearts over to the Lord. People you wouldn’t want to meet on the street. Individuals most people would consider a bane on society, not worthy to receive a second chance. Yet, God gave it to them.

I am so grateful to my God Who is willing to stop a murderer or a hardened criminal on his mission and to turn him from his ways, enabling him to follow Christ.

"This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief." I Timothy 1:15

The Sting of Criticism

  When we moved to Texas, I took a break from writing and focused on home and family. I wouldn't have been capable of balancing a 'c...