Wednesday, August 21, 2024

Trampled

 Perhaps my favorite memories in childhood come from my time with cows. I think in part because working cattle required the whole family to be involved. And in recent years, working cattle meant my husband and kids (including son-in-law) work together.


Often, stress infused these times, but working together took that stress and produced great memories.

For example, one time my dad, my sister, and I were loading calves into the truck. As usual, I took the position behind the calves to drive them up the loading ramp. All but a few calves loaded, then something spooked them. One turned around. Then another. And before I realized the danger, the calves not only pushed me down the ramp, but at the end of the chute, I stumbled, fell to the ground, tucked my head, and held my breath while the entire truckload of calves leapt over me and back into the holding pen. 

Thinking how upset Dad would be for my mistake of letting the calves come back out of the truck, I jumped to my feet and began to send the calves up the chute. Then I stopped and realized no one was saying anything or doing anything. I looked up and there stood my dad and my sister on the bottom rung of the corral fence. When they caught my eye, they both burst out laughing and talking. Apparently, I gave them quite a scare. I think I may have smiled right back at them.

Funny about that event. It made me realize that my dad might actually like me more than his cattle. Kinda puts a bit of bounce in my step at the thought.

The Sting of Criticism

  When we moved to Texas, I took a break from writing and focused on home and family. I wouldn't have been capable of balancing a 'c...