Wednesday, September 29, 2021

Taking God's Name in Vain

 Exodus 20:7 "Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy God in vain; for the LORD will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain."

Psalm 139:20 "For they speak against thee wickedly, and thine enemies take thy name in vain."

Proverbs 30:8-9 "Remove far from me vanity and lies: give me neither poverty nor riches; feed me with food convenient for me: Lest I be full, and deny thee, and say, Who is the LORD? or lest I be poor, and steal, and take the name of my God in vain."

What does it mean to 'take God's name in vain?'

The Hebrew word for vain is shav1. It means useless or without purpose, and specifically in Exodus 20:7, it holds the meaning of a falsehood, or by implication falsely using or deceiving as in a false witness.

In Exodus 20, the word is used in a list of commandments that apply to our relationship with God and how we are to worship Him.

Psalm 139 talks of the Psalmist's relationship with God and when it mentions using God's name in vain, it is in referring to how God's enemies use His name.

Again, in Proverbs, we see the mention of the vain use of God's name in reference to the relationship of writer with the Almighty.

What is significant about God's name that we must be careful how we use it?

God's name represents who He is, His power, and His authority. Consider God's conversation with Moses when He told Moses to tell the people I Am sent him. Exodus 3 Prior to that God had not been referred to by that name or by the name JEHOVAH. (Exodus 6:3) 'I Am' held significance. It showed God's presence and power.

When God met Moses on the mount, He declared His name to Moses (Exodus 34:5). Imagine the all-powerful, all-mighty Creator declaring His name to a humble man. How would you feel as Moses? Would you ever again use God's name in slight?

When we pray, we call on God's name. So that begs the question, when we are using God's name as an expression, are we praying? Of course not.

My children are experts at annoying each other. I've heard them call each other's name simply to annoy, and therefore demonstrate a disrespect (of course they don't see it as disrespectful at the time). Such usage hurts and angers the victim. Should we do the same to God?

I confess, I am hyper-sensitive to the use of God's name or anything that is intended to represent God. I am offended when even a Christian, who knows the Almighty--how great He is and how little we are--uses His name in a disrespectful manner or spews it off in a trite way. At that exact moment, is that Christian using His name with the reverence due the most Superior of beings?

I've heard it argued that the Bible's meaning of taking God's name in vain is to not claim to be God's and live your own way. Okay, lets go down that road. If in anger you spew off God's name, are you living in a righteous manner? If you throw His name out as an exclamatory expression and mean not to truly be calling upon His name or engaging Him into your situation, are you demonstrating your faith in Him? I even question when a Christian spews out as a reaction to a situation "Thank God" whether they are directing their words to God . . . and if they are not, how does that demonstrate their respect and awe of the Almighty?

The literal interpretation of "Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD your God in vain," is that you don't use His name uselessly. There is no other way of reading it. God says what He says and He means what He means. No matter how you look at it, if you use God's name without purpose (out of anger or a reactionary exclamation) you are not bringing honor to Him nor are you purposefully talking in a way that brings Him glory.

I stand in fear of my Lord--a healthy fear, governed by the awe I feel for the One who with a single word could extinguish my life. I stand in fear of Him because, while He has that power, He chose instead to love me and extend to me His great mercy and grace. I am indebted to Him for the salvation He gave me. How dare I treat Him or His name with even the slightest hint of disrespect.

And the Chase Is On

  Years ago, I set my iPad on the treadmill, started up a movie   and pressed 2 for a warmup. I had just begun to punch the button to speed ...